Faro Mine: News Archives
Faro Mine Complex Spring Runoff Water Management
May 24, 2011
Faro Mine Remediation Project's preparations for the annual freshet include inspecting water management infrastructures (dams and diversions) and monitoring runoff water throughout the site.
On-site staff actively monitor the spring runoff situation and continue to ensure that the Faro Mine Complex meets existing standards necessary to protect the environment and to ensure human safety.
For more information call 867-456-6772 (toll free 1-800-661-0408 ext. 6772) or email email@example.com
Update - May 17, 2011
A sudden increase in volume and flow of runoff water from the slopes of the newly constructed Grum Sulphide Cell Cover Project rapidly increased the water levels in Moose Pond (used to collect and store clean surface water from the area). This occurred following two days of unusually high temperatures in the Faro area.
When water levels approached the maximum storage capacity of Moose Pond, runoff water was released into the surrounding environment and Vangorda Creek to prevent uncontrolled on-site flooding and damage to the site infrastructure.
The runoff water released into the environment contained high levels of sediment but no harmful levels of metal contaminants.
Additional water monitoring was immediately implemented to monitor the situation.
Update - May 19, 2011
Results from water testing showed an increase in zinc levels in the runoff water. The release stopped immediately.
Runoff water was diverted back for storage in Moose Pond, where water levels were lower and it was able to contain the remaining runoff water from the slopes of the Grum Sulphide Cell Cover site.
Majority of snow in the area has melted. Expanded water testing and on-site monitoring continued.
Update - May 23, 2011
Spring runoff continues to be contained on-site.
- SEEKING BIDS FOR CARE AND MAINTENANCE TENDER
- Pre-Tender Visit - Faro Mine Complex Care & Maintenance Contract
- Care & Maintenance Employment Opportunity
- Public Tender Seeking Communcation Systems
- More Care & Maintenance Job Opportunities
- Care & Maintenance: Employment Opportunity
- Faro Mine Complex Spring Runoff Water Management
- See Final Episode of Active Minors - Helicopter Tour of Faro Mine - On-Line Now!
- Care & Maintenance Season Start Up and Upcoming Quarterly Meeting
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: Public Tender seeking Engineering and Environmental Services